The ExxonMobil Building (formerly the Humble Building) was built in 1963 in Houston. it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi at 606 ft. , surpassing the Southland Center in Dallas. It remained the tallest building west of the Mississippi only until 1965, when Elm Place was built in Dallas. ExxonMobil is the owner of the building. the architect of the International style structure was welton Becket and Associates.
One of the most distinctive features of the building is the cantilevered seven-foot-wide shades on each floor that protrude from the side of the building to provide shade from the daytime sun. The top two floors are dining space for the Houston Petroleum Club. An innovative feature was the architecturally coordinated garage at 1602 Milam Street, which holds the tower’s air-conditioning equipment leaving the top of the building free for the two-story Petroleum Club and a former observation deck. The building features seven foot wide cantilevered shades at each floor that screens out the summer sun.
During the Houston Astros’ 2004 NLCS run (playoffs), the top of the building was crowned by hundreds of tiny blue lights while an enormous Astros star (logo) made of white lights was hung on the south side of the building.