Brooklyn, NY is poised to become a hot office market in New York City. Companies looking to optimize for social distancing benefit from the relative spaciousness of Brooklyn office space compared to Manhattan office space. Additionally, rents are considerably lower across the Brooklyn, NY office market, which bodes well for companies aiming to cut costs.
For New York-based companies in cost-cutting mode, coworking spaces in Brooklyn are a viable option for office space. In this post, we’ll go over why coworking might be the right option for your business, and we’ll explore the variety of coworking spaces in Brooklyn.
For small or evolving businesses, coworking has often proven to be the right option for a variety of reasons:
Coworking spaces are an affordable option for businesses with limited budgets. Traditional office spaces can be very costly, especially when you factor furnishing, wiring, and managing the space. With coworking space, you’re getting a fully managed office, with amenities like coffee and free WiFi factored into your rent cost. But coworking isn’t just affordable in a month-to-month sense; it’s also affordable long-term. Say a business signs a traditional 3-to-5 year lease, but soon realizes that their needs are no longer compatible with their office. They would then need to break their lease, which can be costly and difficult. By circumventing the long-term lease, companies whose needs vary month-to-month can ensure they’re not getting locked into an expensive lease for the foreseeable future.
No need to worry about furnishing your space or figuring out WiFi — coworking spaces are move-in ready, so all you have to do is show up! And that’s not limited to just your dedicated desks — with coworking spaces, you’ll often have access to meeting rooms and conference rooms, as well as private offices. They also have a variety of amenities and services designed to make your life easier. Coworking providers are also dedicated to providing a sanitized, safe environment for their members with social distancing measures enforced.
It allows you to stay flexible
Coworking allows small companies that can’t predict the future to stay flexible and agile. There’s no need to commit to a long-term lease — most coworking operators offer not just month-to-month options (even for private offices), but even day-passes that allow companies to access workspace while retaining the mobility they often need to get their businesses off the ground.
It fosters community
When you’re an independent professional, it’s important to meet other like-minded professionals who can serve to help grow your network, to inspire with you, and even to partner with you. Coworking spaces generally have event spaces in which they host happy hours, networking events, classes, and more to connect their members.
Let’s take a look at some of the best available coworking spaces in Brooklyn, NY.
Coworking space in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY
- Bathaus: In the heart of Bushwick is an affordable coworking option that prides itself on its “quiet, productive atmosphere” in an open plan office. Members will enjoy great amenities and access to a private backyard, as well as free coffee and weekly happy hours.
- BKLYN Commons: Close to the M/J line in Bushwick, Bushwick’s BKLYN Commons boasts a spacious, modern layout. Subscribe to access meeting room space, open seating, dedicated desks, and/or private space.
- 100 Bogart: What makes 100 Bogart stand out as a coworking space is that it not only offers dedicated desks, meeting rooms, and private space, but it also provides access to space for those in light industrial manufacturing fields. On their rooftop, you’ll find a myriad of events such as networking events, happy hours, fundraisers, performances, and more.
- Bond Collective: This beautiful coworking space (just off the J/M/Z line at 12 Park Street) boasts modern glass atria, invigorating pastel finishes, and tons of natural light. Those with an appreciation for the aesthetic will thrive in this “modern work oasis”. They offer customized build outs, a roof deck, and more. They also have a space in Gowanus that caters to creatives, which you can tell apart from its Bushwick counterpart by its bright, bold hues.
Coworking space in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
- The Brass Factory: An independent coworking solution with over 30,000 square feet of space, The Brass Factory in Williamsburg is steps from both the East River and McCarren Park. With tons of natural light, spacious, and full of plants, this coworking space aims to inspire productivity. Whether you opt for a private office or a dedicated desk, you’ll still have access to all their amenities.
- Class & Co: As is evident from its name, Class & Co isn’t just a coworking space — they also offer a variety of classes tailored to entrepreneurs. Members will enjoy a wide variety of subjects, from robotics to storytelling; these classes foster a communal environment, conducive to networking and productivity. They have spaces in both East Williamsburg and Greenpoint.
Coworking space in DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY
- WeWork: One of the things that makes this WeWork unique is that it’s actually two buildings connected by a skybridge. One of the buildings stands at 9 floors tall, and the other at 4. Enjoy custom murals, a coffee bar, and games in the common space. Of course, they also have the standard DUMBO coworking space amenities: conference rooms, fast WiFi, stocked kitchens, private workspace, and more. To get there, you have a few options in terms of the subway: take the F train to York Street or the A/C trains to High Street. It’s a short trip from Manhattan!
Coworking space in Gowanus, Brooklyn, NY
- Brooklyn Creative League: An open, welcoming space, Brooklyn Creative League is an affordable shared workspace in Gowanus for independent professionals. They pride themselves on being green and on their vibrant community of members. For those who desire privacy, they have dedicated desks with carrels and affordable private offices. Access a virtual tour of the space here.
Coworking space in Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY
- GreenDesk: Support eco-friendly initiatives by renting workspace at GreenDesk. With GEE-certified buildings constructed with recycled materials, GreenDesk’s commitment to minimising its carbon footprint is admirable. They have all the necessary amenities to get your day going, like free coffee, fruit-infused water, high-speed WiFi, mail services, and more. The service is extremely affordable, with private spaces starting at $350 per month. GreenDesk has locations throughout Brooklyn and Queens — in addition to Downtown Brooklyn, you can find GreenDesk space in DUMBO, Greenpoint, Williamsburg, and Long Island City. Access the space 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Coworking space in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NY
- Prosper GoWork: This Crown Heights coworking space’s mission is simple: to provide a friction-free, flexible, comprehensive work experience for remote professionals. Choose either a dedicated desk plan or a private office plan — either way, your space is all yours — and get going with access to their high-speed WiFi, free coffee and other top amenities. When the weather’s nice, take a break in the backyard garden. And they even offer 24-hour access!
- Work Heights: Another 24/7 space, Work Heights is nested between Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights. This independent coworking space is very affordable, with an airy, natural interior feel. However, the space doesn’t offer private offices — their focus is on flexible and dedicated desks, so this is perfect for you if you’re looking for an open, shared office environment.
Coworking space in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY
- PencilWorks: A great space for tech-forward entrepreneurs, PencilWorks offers access to cutting-edge amenities, including high-speed WiFi and Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality technology. They’ve also got some other cool perks, like access to bikes and to media rooms. They offer 6 types of space to their members: commercial loft space, dedicated desk space, conference room space, private offices, shared desk space, and virtual space. Members have access to the space 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Yard: This location is nested right between Williamsburg and Greenpoint, and is perfect for pretty much anyone in need of a coworking solution: from budding entrepreneurs to early-stage startups, they’ve got you covered. Their workspace offerings range from open coworking, to dedicated desks, to private offices with anywhere from 2-7 desks, to virtual space — you’ve got a lot of options! Enjoy free WiFi and coffee, access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, wellness events, and member discounts for nearby establishments. Bring your pup too — they’re pet-friendly!
Coworking space in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, NY
- Camp David: Perfect for creatives, Sunset Park’s Camp David offers makerspace for creating art and other goods, as well as a content studio for that podcast you’ve been wanting to record. This space offers top amenities and is hooked up with the latest tech, including microphones, speakers, and DJ equipment. Your transit options for getting there are the D, N, or R trains.
- The HESS Brooklyn: A self-described “luxury” solution, The HESS BK in Sunset Park strives to make its members feel like all their needs are catered to with their range of amenities. That’s why each workspace membership, no matter whether you’re on a dedicated desk plan or a private office plan, comes with all-inclusive access to amenities. One top perk is that there’s no hourly limit on meeting room space — meeting rooms are just first come, first serve. Enjoy free coffee or tea in their lounge, while admiring a periodically-rotating display of art from local artists.
- SPark Workshop Brooklyn: Calling all craftspeople: being an SPark Workshop member guarantees you access to studio space, a woodworking shop, laser cutting and engraving services, maker space, and a variety of tools and equipment to enable you to create. Their private studio space is relatively affordable, starting at $899 per month. Take the N/R lines, or the B11 or B37 buses to get to the coworking space.
Coworking space in Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
- Park Slope Desk: Much like Brooklyn Writers Space, Park Slope Desk is focused on creating a quiet, focused workspace that enables its members to zone in. If you work best in a library-esque environment, this is the space for you. Unlike most libraries, Park Slope Desk offers its members complimentary coffee and tea, private phone booths, conference and meeting rooms, and ergonomic chairs. Access the coworking space in Park Slope from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m, seven days a week. Whatever you need to get done, Park Slope Desk will ensure you have a zen environment to work in.
Whatever you’re looking for in a coworking space, you’ll find some of the best coworking space in Brooklyn, NY. There are numerous options for every independent professional and every small to mid-sized team in the New York City area.